Today's Style Sunday is in honor of Black Friday just having past and how I approach big sales like this!
I first want to say that even though I am going to discuss what I bought as well as how I approach sales, please always know that you do NOT have to buy on big sale days. I know that might sound odd coming from me since I am a blogger but here is the deal; I am not going to encourage people to spend money they do not have. I post about things I love for folks who were already looking to spend, not to try to force people into buying things. I don't have disposable income like that and most people I know don't. You don't need to keep up with anyone; no influencer, no blogger, no one. Don't let anyone make you feel otherwise!
And with that, here are a few things I keep in mind for these big sales:
- Go in stores that you normally wouldn't go in: This is a big one for me. When I know the sales are going to be great, I try out a few stores that I normally wouldn't and I tend to find some real gems. I am not a GAP shopper at all normally and I found an amazing scarf in my favorite shade of purple that I know I will wear constantly for 60% off. I also found a cardigan that I absolutely love at Aerie for 70% off!
- Look for your own personal classics to invest in: I know this is the opposite advice a lot of folks give because it sounds like it makes sense to try out trendy things when they are on sale, right? Hear me out on this, though! I take sales like this to really stock on the things that I know and love. It is so tempting to overspend when you are trying to spend on trendy things that you ultimately might not end up loving. I will personally get maybe 1-2 trendy things to try.
- Do your research before hand: I always like to start to look a week or so before big sales because a lot of retailers will put out the information online or through e-mail. That will tell me if it's worth it for me to go in store for any doorbusters or deals that I truly just can't pass up.
- Wait until Cyber Monday: Honestly, a lot of retailers have better deals on Cyber Monday because so many people shop online now!
- Try to not impulse buy: I know when there are a million sales going on it is hard to not buy ten pairs of $10 jeans, but just because it is a deal doesn't mean you need it, friend. I know that's hard to hear, but it's true. 😉
- Go through your closet first: Before big sales, I always do a good inventory of my closet to I can actually see what I need and what I want, which we all know can be two totally different things. It is also a great time to go through and see what no longer serves you and could be donated. I go through my closet 1-2 times a month and always when I think I can't possibly have anything else to get rid of, I find a random shirt I haven't worn in like three years that was hiding.
Now here are some of the things I purchased this weekend!
That is what I got that I am able to tag online! As you can see I also picked up a great sweater for Sean and some sleepers for the littles. 🙂
How about y'all? How to you approach big sales? Did you pick up anything awesome? Let me know in the comments!
There are so many holidays coming up (don’t forget there are many more cultural and religious holidays aside from Thanksgiving and Christmas!) and I know when I was growing up we always dressed up for both Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner no matter how many people were there or what wasRead more >
Note: This post contains affiliate links! I am someone who genuinely enjoys cooler weather, but one thing I used to miss is wearing some of my cute summer dresses and rompers! A light bulb went off a few years ago and I realized that rather than packing them up forRead more >
Note: This blog contains affiliate links! Anyone who knows me knows that Christmas is usually not a huge thing for me; it just has never been ‘my’ holiday. I would decorate and all (always after Thanksgiving) and celebrate but I never really felt like all the red and green wasRead more >
Before I was a SAHM and working on blogging, I worked for over ten years at a large non-profit in the programming department. The dress code was pretty chill but we still needed to dress business casual. Once I left my job in February 2018, I was left with aRead more >
I have been wanting to do a dedicated fashion feature on the blog for a while now. I came up with doing Style Sunday, where I have a weekly post dedicated to different style and fashion tips. This week I am going to do something different than I have everRead more >
It’s the middle of September, so it’s about the time we start seeing folks settling in to thinking about the last part of the year, which of course includes the holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and many more). It is also the time of year where we start to seeRead more >
Living in North Carolina, warmer feeling weather tends to run well into September. Even with that, there is still something about knowing fall is coming that really wants me to get outdoors even more with my family to gear up for the cooler weather to come. With two active kidsRead more >
There is something so fun to me about the beginning of a new season and getting your wardrobe ready for something different. Fall is especially lovely for me because I absolutely love cooler weather (everyone knows that I loathe hot weather) and I am so into wearing sweaters and funRead more >
This has been a blog that I have been wanting to write for a couple of months now and I am so excited to finally get it published! When 2019 hit, Sean and I decided that we really wanted to redo our master bedroom. Like a lot of folks, ourRead more >